If you have a corner in your backyard that’s been neglected or underutilized, turning it into a garden can be a great way to add beauty and functionality to your outdoor space. Creating a corner garden doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming, and there are plenty of simple ideas that can help you get started.
One easy way to create a corner garden is to use raised garden beds. These can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, stone, or brick, and can be customized to fit the size and shape of your corner. Raised beds are great for growing vegetables, herbs, or flowers, and can help keep your garden organized and easy to maintain.
Another option is to create a corner garden using containers. This is a great way to add color and texture to your backyard without committing to a permanent garden bed. You can use a variety of different containers, from traditional clay pots to repurposed items like old buckets or wheelbarrows. Just be sure to choose plants that are appropriate for the size of your container and the amount of sunlight your corner receives.
Table of Contents
- Corner Garden Design Tips
- Choosing the Right Corner for Your Garden
- DIY Corner Garden Projects
- Corner Garden Bed Ideas
Corner Garden Design Tips
Designing a corner garden can be a fun and rewarding experience. Imagine the thrill of finalizing a beautiful space for your family and friends to enjoy.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning your corner garden:
- Consider the size and shape of your corner: Take into account the size and shape of the corner you are working with. A smaller corner may benefit from a vertical garden or a simple container garden, while a larger corner can accommodate a variety of plants and features. We’ll discuss these ideas in more detail in a moment.
- Choose plants that thrive in your climate: Make sure to choose plants that are well-suited to your climate and the amount of sunlight your corner garden receives. This will ensure that your plants thrive and look their best.
- Use a mix of textures and colors: Mixing different textures and colors can add interest and depth to your corner garden. Consider using plants with different leaf shapes and sizes, as well as flowers in a variety of colors and hues.
- Consider adding a focal point: A focal point, such as a statue, birdbath, or fountain, can add visual interest and draw the eye to your corner garden. Just be sure to choose a focal point that complements the overall design of your garden.
- Don’t forget about lighting: Adding lighting to your corner garden can create a beautiful ambiance and allow you to enjoy your garden even after the sun goes down. Consider using solar-powered lights or low-voltage lighting for an eco-friendly option.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can create a beautiful and functional corner garden that will enhance the look and feel of your backyard.
Choosing the Right Corner for Your Garden
When planning your corner garden, the first step is to choose the right corner for your garden. You want to select a corner that gets enough sunlight and has good soil drainage. Avoid corners that are too shady or have poor soil drainage, as this can prevent your plants from growing properly.
Another thing to consider is the size of the corner. If you have a small corner, you may want to consider using raised garden beds or container gardening to make the most out of the space. On the other hand, if you have a larger corner, you can create a more expansive garden with a variety of plants.
It’s also important to consider the surrounding landscape when choosing the right corner for your garden. Take note of the existing plants and trees nearby, as well as any structures or hardscaping features. You want your corner garden to blend in with the surrounding landscape and complement the existing features.
Finally, think about the purpose of your corner garden. Are you looking to create a peaceful retreat, a place to entertain guests, or a space to grow your own vegetables? The purpose of your garden will help guide your plant selection and overall design.
By considering these factors, you can choose the right corner for your garden and create a beautiful and functional space that you can enjoy for years to come.
When it comes to simple and easy corner garden ideas, there are plenty of options to choose from. Some popular ideas include:
- Creating a raised garden bed with edging
- Planting a variety of tall plants for increased privacy
- Adding a bistro table and chairs for an intimate seating area
- Creating a circular garden with box planters
- Planting a mix of flowers and herbs for a colorful and fragrant corner garden
Remember to choose plants that are well-suited for your climate and soil conditions, and consider incorporating a mix of annuals and perennials for year-round interest. With a little planning and creativity, you can create a beautiful and functional corner garden that adds beauty and value to your backyard.
DIY Corner Garden Projects
If you’re looking for a way to spruce up your corner garden, why not try some DIY projects? Not only are they fun and creative, but they can also save you money.
A corner garden doesn’t need to involve an expensive landscaping overhaul. There are many ways you can create an oasis without breaking the bank. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Tire Planters: Turn old tires into unique and colorful planters. Simply clean the tires, paint them in bright colors, and fill them with soil and your favorite plants. You can stack the tires to create a vertical garden or line them up against a wall.
- Pallet Planter: Transform a wooden pallet into a rustic planter. Remove some of the slats and add a layer of landscaping fabric to the bottom. Then fill the pallet with soil and plant your favorite herbs, vegetables, or flowers.
- Hanging Herb Garden: Create a hanging herb garden using mason jars and a wooden board. Attach the board to a corner of your garden and hang the jars from it using twine. Fill the jars with soil and plant your favorite herbs.
- Vertical Garden: As previously mentioned, you can use a trellis or a set of shelves to create a vertical garden. Plant your favorite flowers or herbs in pots and arrange them on the shelves or attach them to the trellis.
These DIY projects are simple and easy to do, and they can add a personal touch to your corner garden. Plus, they can be a fun activity to do with family or friends. So, grab some supplies and get creative!
Corner Garden Bed Ideas
By now you should have an idea of what you can accomplish in your corner garden. To inspire you, we have included some corner garden projects from across the web.
Explore these corner garden ideas and take elements from any or all of them for your own home.
Here are some corner garden bed ideas that are easy to implement:
1. Rustic Corner Garden
You can create a beautiful rustic corner garden by including unique elements from thrift shops or old barnyard finds. Even old rusted and weathered items, such as chairs, signs, and more can add a unique look to your corner garden.
Consider mixing weathered wood and a variety of colorful flowers and greenery. If you are looking for more inspiration, check out this article from Gardenetc for more rustic garden ideas.
2. Vertical Corner Garden
Are you struggling to find ways to utilize the corners of your backyard? Vertical gardening in corners is a great solution to this problem. Not only does it add visual interest to your backyard, but it also maximizes your gardening space. Here are some simple and easy ideas for vertical gardening in corners:
- Hang planters on the wall: Use wall-mounted planters to create a vertical garden in the corner of your backyard. You can use a variety of plants, including succulents, ferns, and herbs. Make sure to choose plants that thrive in the amount of sunlight that your corner receives.
- Install a trellis: A trellis is a great way to add height to your corner garden. You can grow climbing plants like ivy, roses, and clematis on the trellis. This will create a beautiful and natural backdrop for your backyard.
- Use a pallet: A wooden pallet can be repurposed into a vertical garden. Then simply lean it against the corner of your backyard. This is a great option for those who are short on space.
In addition to these ideas, you can also use hanging baskets or create a living wall with a variety of plants. No matter which option you choose, vertical gardening in corners is a simple and easy way to add greenery and beauty to your backyard.
For more ideas on how to maximize your space vertically, checkout these DIY vertical garden ideas from The Garden Glove.
3. Tiered Corner Garden
This DIY tiered corner garden project by Decor and the Dog, is made from wooden boards and features three levels for planting a variety of flowers, herbs, or vegetables. The tiered design creates visual interest and allows you to maximize your gardening space.
A smaller tiered garden such as this would look great on your deck, or even a condo balcony. One could even alter the plans to create a larger version for bigger corner spaces.
4. Colorful Corner Garden
Create a lush and colorful look that boosts your homes curb appeal. This tiny corner garden plan from Better Homes & Gardens is a great way to add a visual focal point to your yard.
You could also utilize an existing small fence in your yard by simply adding a similar plant arrangement. Otherwise this plan would create a nice effect to a front yard that is otherwise bare.
5. Fairy Tale Corner Garden
Are a big fan of fantasy or folklore?
Why not create a whimsical oasis in your backyard?
For the Lord of the Rings fans who are interested in a truly ambitious project, you need to checkout this diy hobbit backyard build. It’s quite the project, and definitely not for the feint of heart. However, what a unique space that children are especially sure to love.
Not up for a large project? Checkout this collection of breathtaking diy fairy gardens from Family Handyman for more inspiring ideas.
6. Corner Water Garden
Having a corner water garden adds a tranquil and serene vibe to any space. Imagine a small pond with a water fountain, surrounded by plants and flowers like lilies and water hyacinths.
This low maintenance water feature project from Family Handyman wont break the bank or take up too much space. Plus, it’ll look great in any corner garden.
For more inspiration, check out these water features for your garden ideas from Decoist.
7. Corner Rock Garden
Corner rock gardens are a nice way to add texture and interest to any outdoor space. There are many ways you can design your own, including a variety of plants. Consider ones that thrive in rocky environments, such as succulents and cacti.
8. Corner Zen Garden
This corner Zen garden is perfect for creating a peaceful and meditative space. It features a small tranquil garden with a sand raked to mimic the waves of the ocean, surrounded by a few plants.
It’s a nice project to inspire you to build your own oasis.
9. Corner Succulent Garden
Corner succulent gardens are perfect for creating a low-maintenance yet beautiful outdoor space. They are especially great for small spaces. You can get creative with a variety of succulents in different shapes and sizes, as well as decorative rocks and stones.
For inspiration on creating your own, checkout these succulent garden ideas for small spaces from Garden Made Simple.
10. Corner Greenhouse
Another idea for your corner garden is to build a greenhouse. This can be a great home base for preparing all of your plants for around the house. Plus, you can add nice features surrounding your greenhouse structure to create a nice aesthetic at your home.
Creating a corner garden in your backyard doesn’t have to be complicated or time-consuming. With these simple and easy ideas, you can transform that unused corner of your yard into a beautiful and functional garden space.
Whether you choose to create a raised garden bed, add a water feature, create a vertical garden, use potted plants, or create a rock garden, there are plenty of options to choose from. So get started today and enjoy the beauty of your new corner garden!